To prevent, classify and treat brain injury ranging from concussion to coma. The core work in my lab focuses on the development of objective markers of injury that can be used to assess whether preventative measures (such as neck strengthening in young athletes) are working to reduce concussion; to differentiate pathophysiology so that treatments can be targeted appropriately; and to characterize injury so that decisions dependent on functional recovery can be objective.
Lab website: http://samadanilab.org/
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Koller M, Rafter D, Shok G, Murphy S, Kiaei S, Samadani U. A retrospective descriptive study of cranioplasty failure rates and contributing factors in novel 3D printed calcium phosphate implants compared to traditional materials. 3D Print Med. 2020 Jun 17;6(1):14.
- Mahan MY, Samadani U. Editorial. Lessons from the failure of diffusion tensor imaging to differentiate concussed from nonconcussed NFL players. J Neurosurg. 2019 Sep 6:1-4. doi: 10.3171/2019.5.JNS19892.
- Darrow D, Lee-Norris A, Larson A, Samadani U, Netoff TI. Discrepancy between internal and external intracranial pressure transducers: Quantification of an old source of error in EVDs? World Neurosurg. 2019 Aug 5. pii: S1878-8750(19)32129-1.
- Mahan MY, Thorpe M, Ahmadi A, Abdallah T, Casey H, Sturtevant D, Judge-Yoakam S, Hoover C, Rafter D, Miner J, Richardson C, Samadani U. GFAP outperforms S100B and UCH-L1 as predictor for positive head CT in trauma subjects. World Neurosurg. 2019 Aug 5. pii: S1878-8750(19)32129-1.
- Darrow D, Balser DY, Netoff T, Krassioukov AV, Phillips AA, Parr AM, Samadani U. Epidural spinal cord stimulation facilitates immediate restoration of dormant motor and autonomic supraspinal pathways after chronic neurologically complete spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2019;36(15):2325-2336.
- Wu AG, Samadani U, Slusher TM, Zhang L, Kiragu AW. 23.4% Hypertonic saline and intracranial pressure in severe traumatic brain injury among children: A 10-Year retrospective analysis. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2019;20(5):466-473.
- Bin Zahid A, Lockyer J, Podolak O, Dammavalam VM, Hubbard ME, Grady M, Nance M, Scheiman M, Samadani U, Masters CL. Eye tracking as a biomarker for concussion in children. Clin J Sport Med. 2018 Aug 8. doi: 10.1097/JSM.
- Bin Zahid A, Balser D, Thomas R, Mahan MY, Hubbard ME, Samadani U. Increase in brain atrophy after subdural hematoma to rates greater than associated with dementia. J Neurosurg. 2018 Mar 2;:1-9.
- Toninato J, Casey H, Uppal M, Abdallah T, Bergman T, Eckner J, Samadani U. Traumatic brain injury reduction in athletes by neck strengthening (TRAIN). Contemp Clin Trials Commun. 2018;11:102-106.
- Sone JY, Courtney-Kay Lamb S, Techar K, Dammavalam V, Uppal M, Williams C, Bergman T, Tupper D, Ort P, Samadani U. High prevalence of prior contact sports play and concussion among orthopedic and neurosurgical department chairs. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2018;22(1):1-8.
- Samadani U, Affana CK. Oxygen therapy in suspected acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med. 2018;378(2):200-201.
- Daly S, Thorpe M, Rockswold S, Hubbard M, Bergman T, Samadani U, Rockswold G. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the treatment of acute severe traumatic brain injury: A systematic review. J Neurotrauma. 2018;35(4):623-629.
- Kolecki R, Dammavalam V, Bin Zahid A, Hubbard M, Choudhry O, Reyes M, Han B, Wang T, Papas PV, Adem A, North E, Gilbertson DT, Kondziolka D, Huang JH, Huang PH, Samadani U. Elevated intracranial pressure causes reversible eye tracking changes detected while viewing a film clip. J Neurosurg. 2018;128(3):811-818.
- Bin Zahid A, Hubbard ME, Dammavalam VM, Balser DY, Pierre G, Kim A, Kolecki R, Mehmood T, Wall SP, Frangos SG, Huang PP, Tupper DE, Barr W, Samadani U. Assessment of acute head injury in an emergency department population using sport concussion assessment tool - 3rd edition. Appl Neuropsychol Adult. 2016 Nov 17:1-10.
- Samadani U, Hubbard M. Diagnosing traumatic encephalopathy syndrome. JAMA Neurol. 2016;73(11):1373-1374.
- Sone JY, Kondziolka D, Huang JH, Samadani U. Helmet efficacy against concussion and traumatic brain injury: a review. J Neurosurg. 2016;126:1-14.
- Bin Zahid A, Mikheev A, Srivatsa N, Babb J, Samadani U, Rusinek H. Accelerated brain atrophy on serial computed tomography: Potential marker of the progression of Alzheimer disease. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2016;40(5):827-32.
- Samadani U. Physicians and youth tackle football. N Engl J Med. 2016;374(21):2097-8.
- Samadani U. A new tool for monitoring brain function: eye tracking goes beyond assessing attention to measuring central nervous system physiology. Neural Regen Res. 2015;10:1231-3.
- Renfrow JJ, Rodriguez A, Liu A, Pilitsis JG, Samadani U, Ganju A, Germano IM, Benzil DL, Wolfe SQ. Positive trends in neurosurgery enrollment and attrition: analysis of the 2000-2009 female neurosurgery resident cohort. J Neurosurg. 2016;124(3):834-9.
- Balser D, Farooq S, Mehmood T, Reyes M, Samadani U. Actual and projected incidence rates for chronic subdural hematomas in United States Veterans Administration and civilian populations. J Neurosurg. 2015;123(5):1209-15
- Samadani U, Ritlop R, Reyes M, Nehrbass E, Li M, Lamm E, Schneider J, Shimunov D, Sava M, Kolecki R, Burris P, Altomare L, Mehmood T, Smith T, Huang JH, McStay C, Todd SR, Qian M, Kondziolka D, Wall S, Huang P. Eye tracking detects disconjugate eye movements associated with structural traumatic brain injury and concussion. J Neurotrauma. 2015;32(8):548-56.
- Samadani U, Farooq S, Ritlop R, Warren F, Reyes M, Lamm E, Alex A, Nehrbass E, Kolecki R, Jureller M, Schneider J, Chen A, Shi C, Mendhiratta N, Huang JH, Qian M, Kwak R, Mikheev A, Rusinek H, George A, Fergus R, Kondziolka D, Huang PP, Smith RT. Detection of third and sixth cranial nerve palsies with a novel method for eye tracking while watching a short film clip. J Neurosurg. 2015;122(3):707-20.