Dr. Schallmo began his research career in the lab of Dr. Scott A. Langenecker in the Neuropsychology Division at the University of Michigan. There he completed an honors thesis, using functional MRI to study word list learning as part of his B.S. in Brain, Behavior, and Cognitive Science. Dr. Schallmo then completed his Ph.D. in Neuroscience at the University of Minnesota, working in the lab of Dr. Cheryl A. Olman (Department of Psychology). His doctoral work used functional MRI and behavioral psychophysics to examine how early visual processing (e.g., contrast perception) is affected by psychosis. Next, Dr. Schallmo worked as a post-doctoral research associate in the lab of Dr. Scott O. Murray in the Department of Psychology at the University of Washington. This work examined how low-level vision (e.g., motion perception) is affected by autism spectrum disorder, using methods such as functional MRI, MR spectroscopy, and EEG. He joined the Psychiatry Department as an Assistant Professor in August 2017, as part of a team working on the Psychosis Human Connectome Project.
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Murray SO, Kolodny T, Schallmo MP, Gerdts J, Bernier RA. Late fMRI response components are altered in autism spectrum disorder. Front Hum Neurosci. 2020 Jun 30;14:241.
- Schallmo MP, Kolodny T, Kale AM, Millin R, Flevaris AV, Edden RAE, Gerdts J, Bernier RA, Murray SO. Weaker neural suppression in autism. Nat Commun. 2020 May 29;11(1):2675.
- Kolodny T, Schallmo MP, Gerdts J, Edden RAE, Bernier RA, Murray SO. Concentrations of Cortical GABA and glutamate in young adults with autism spectrum disorder. Autism Res. 2020 Apr 16. doi: 10.1002/aur.2300.
- Kolodny T, Schallmo MP, Gerdts J, Bernier RA, Murray SO. Response dissociation in hierarchical cortical circuits: a unique feature of autism spectrum disorder. J Neurosci. 2020;40(11):2269-2281.
- Schallmo M-P, Kale AM, Murray SO. The time course of different surround suppression mechanisms. J Vis. 2019 Apr 1;19(4):12.
- Mikkelsen M, Rimbault DL, Barker PB, Bhattacharyya PK, Brix MK, Buur PF, … Schallmo M-P, … Edden RAE. Big GABA II: Water-referenced edited MR spectroscopy at 25 research sites. Neuroimage. 2019 May 1;191:537-548.
- Schallmo M-P, Millin R, Kale AM, Kolodny T, Edden RAE, Bernier RA, Murray SO. Glutamatergic facilitation of neural responses in MT enhances motion perception in humans. NeuroImage. 2019;184:925-931.
- Millin R, Kolodny T, Flevaris AV, Kale AM, Schallmo M-P, Gerdts J, Bernier RA, Murray S. Reduced auditory cortical adaptation in autism spectrum disorder. eLife. 2018;7: e36493.
- Murray SO, Schallmo M-P, Kolodny T, Millin R, Kale A, Thomas P, Rammsayer TH, Troche SJ, Bernier RA, Tadin D. Sex differences in visual motion processing. Curr Biol. 2018;28(17):2794-2799.
- Schallmo M-P, Kale AM, Millin R, Flevaris AV, Brkanac Z, Edden RA, Bernier RA, Murray SO. Suppression and facilitation of human neural responses. eLife. 2018;7: e30334.
- Quevedo K, Harms M, Sauder M, Scott H, Mohamed S, Thomas KM, Schallmo M-P, Smyda G. The neurobiology of self face recognition among depressed adolescents. J Affect Disord. 2018;229:22-31.
- Olman CA, Bao P, Engel SA, Grant AN, Purington C, Qiu C, Schallmo M-P, Tjan BS. Hemifield columns co-opt ocular dominance column structure in human achiasma. NeuroImage. 2018;164:59-66.
- Mikkelsen M, Barker PB, Bhattacharyya PK, Brix MK, Buur PF, Cecil KM, … Schallmo M-P, … Edden RAE. Big GABA: Edited MR spectroscopy at 24 research sites. NeuroImage. 2017;159:32-45.
- Dawson EL, Caveney AF, Meyers KK, Weisenbach SL, Giordani B, Avery ET, Schallmo M-P, Bahadori A, Bieliauskas LA, Mordhorst M, Marcus SM, Kerber K, Zubieta JK, Langenecker SA. Executive functioning at baseline prospectively predicts depression treatment response. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord. 2017;19(1). doi: 10.4088/PCC.16m01949.
- Schallmo M-P, Grant AN, Burton PC, Olman CA. The effects of orientation and attention during surround suppression of small image features: A 7 Tesla fMRI study. J Vis. 2016 Aug 1;16(10):19. doi: 10.1167/16.10.19.
- Schallmo M-P, Murray SO. Identifying separate components of surround suppression. J Vis. 2016;16(1):2. doi: 10.1167/16.1.2.
- Schallmo M-P, Sponheim SR, Olman CA. Reduced contextual effects on visual contrast perception in schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorder. Psychol Med. 2015;45(16):3527-3537.
- Schallmo M-P, Kassel MT, Weisenbach SL, Walker SJ, Guidotti-Breting LM, Rao JA, Hazlett KE, Considine CM, Sethi G, Vats N, Pecina M, Welsh RC, Starkman MN, Giordani B, Langenecker SA. A new semantic list learning task to probe functioning of the Papez circuit. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 2015;37(8):816-833.
- Schallmo M-P, Sponheim SR, Olman CA. Abnormal contextual modulation of visual contour detection in patients with schizophrenia. PLoS One. 2013 Jun 18;8(6):e68090.