Member of the MSTP (MD/PhD) Program
Undergrad Institution and Major:
University of California - San Diego, B.S. in Chemistry, 2005
Noninvasive assessment of neurochemical biomarkers in humans with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: correlates of clinical heterogeneity
Resident, Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Medical School, University of Minnesota
Gulin Oz, Ph.D., Department of Radiology
Thesis Committee Members:
- Janet Dubinsky, Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience (Chair)
- Brent Clark, M.D./Ph.D., Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
- Lynn Eberly, Ph.D., Division of Biostatistics
- Yasushi Nakagawa, Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience
Description of Graduate Research:
I am using short echo-time 1H MRS at 7 Tesla to study brain function in human subjects with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). My goal is to determine the metabolite profiles in the motor cortex and pontine brainstem, which are known sites of pathology in ALS. The results of my work may enhance our understanding of the pathophysiology of ALS as well as identify robust biomarkers that may ultimately improve clinical trial outcomes.
Neuroimaging and Optogenetics
Awards and Honors:
Frederick M. Stark Travel Award, 2017
Graduate Level Publications:
- Cheong I, Deelchand DK, Eberly LE, Marjańska M, Manousakis G, Guliani G, Walk D, Öz G. Neurochemical correlates of functional decline in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2018 Nov 22. pii: jnnp-2018-318795.
- Cheong I, Marjańska M, Deelchand DK, Eberly LE, Walk D, Öz G. Ultra-high field proton MR spectroscopy in early-stage amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurochem Res. 2017;42:1845-1846.
- Terpstra M, Cheong I, Lyu T, Deelchand DK, Emir UE, Bednarik P, Eberly LE, Oz G. Test-retest reproducibility of neurochemical profiles with short-echo, single-voxel MR spectroscopy at 3T and 7T. Magn Reson Med. 2016;76:1083-1091.
Graduate Level Abstracts:
- Cheong I, Deelchand DK, Eberly LE, Marjańska M, Walk D, Öz G. Longitudinal 1H MRS in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis at 7 tesla. 11th Biennial Minnesota Workshop on High and Ultra-high Field Imaging, Minneapolis, MN. October 2017.
- Cheong I, Marjańska M, Deelchand DK, Eberly LE, Walk D, Öz G. High and Ultra-High Field Proton MR Spectroscopy in Early Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. 25th Annual International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Honolulu, HI. April 2017.
- Cheong I, Marjańska M, Eberly LE, Öz G, Walk D. Ultra-High Field Proton MR Spectroscopy in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. American Academy of Neurology 69th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. April 2017.
Cheong I, Marjańska M, Deelchand DK, Öz G, Walk D. Longitudinal Assessment of Neurochemistry in ALS by Ultra-High Field MR Spectroscopy. Neuroimaging Society in ALS, Orlando, FL. December 2015.
International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2017
What Advice Would You Give A First Year Graduate Student?
When you’re finding a lab and studying for classes, make sure to sprinkle in some time for relaxing.