Modern neuroscience sees the brain as an information-processing device. Understanding how the brain processes information requires understanding the representations used by the network of neurons that compose the brain. However, representations in the brain are distributed: each cell carries only a small portion of the total information. I am interested in questions of how neural structures work together to create systems able to accomplish behavioral tasks.
Our primary current projects are in the decision-making, neuroeconomics, and computational psychiatry. Neurophysiologically, we are looking at how multiple learning and decision systems interact to produce behavior and how dysfunctions within those systems can drive problematic behaviors. We have extensive collaborations looking at how these systems are similar or different across species (mice, rats, humans), and the clinical implications of our understanding of these decision-making processes.
Lab Website: https://redishlab.umn.edu/
(For a comprehensive list of recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Kummerfeld E, Ma S, Blackman RK, DeNicola AL, Redish AD, Vinogradov S, Crowe DA, Chafee MV. Cognitive control rrrors in nonhuman primates resembling those in schizophrenia reflect opposing effects of NMDA receptor blockade on causal interactions between cells and circuits in prefrontal and parietal cortices. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2020 Apr 8. pii: S2451-9022(20)30078-1.
- Hasz BM, Redish AD. Dorsomedial prefrontal cortex and hippocampus represent strategic context even while simultaneously changing representation throughout a task session. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2020 Apr 7:107215. doi: 10.1016/j.nlm.2020.107215.
- Walters CJ, Jubran J, Sheehan A, Erickson MT, Redish AD. Avoid-approach conflict behaviors differentially affected by anxiolytics: implications for a computational model of risky decision-making. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2019 Mar 12. doi: 10.1007/s00213-019-05197-0.
- Sweis BM, Thomas MJ, Redish AD. Beyond simple test of value: measuring addiction as a heterogeneous disease of computation-specific valuation processes. Learn. Mem. 2018;25:510-512.
- McLoon LK, Redish AD. Demystifying graduate school: Navigating a PhD in neuroscience and beyond. J. Undergrad. Neurosci. Educ. 2018;16:A203-A209.
- Sweis BM, Abram SV, Schmidt BJ, Seeland KD, MacDonald, AW III, Thomas MJ, Redish AD. Sensitivity to "sunk costs" in mice, rats, and humans. Science 2018;361:178-181.
- Sweis BM, Redish AD, Thomas MJ. Prolonged abstinence from cocaine or morphine disrupts separable valuations during decision conflict. Nat Commun. 2018 Jun 28;9(1):2521.
- Sweis BM, Thomas MJ, Redish AD. Mice learn to regret. PLoS Biol. 2018;16(6):e2005853.
- Sweis BM, Larson EB, Redish AD, Thomas MJ. Altering gain of the infralimbic-to-accumbens shell circuit alters economically dissociable decision-making algorithms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018 Jun 18. pii: 201803084.
- Amemiya S, Redish AD. Hippocampal theta-gamma coupling reflects state-dependent information processing in decision making. Cell Rep. 2018;22(12):3328-3338
- Lisman J, Buzsáki G, Eichenbaum H, Nadel L, Ranganath C, Redish AD. Viewpoints: how the hippocampus contributes to memory, navigation and cognition. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1434-1447.
- Friston KJ, Redish AD, Gordon JA. Computational Nosology and Precision Psychiatry. Comput Psychiatr. 2017;1:2-23.
- Papale AE, Zielinski MC, Frank LM, Jadhav SP, Redish AD. Interplay between hippocampal sharp-wave-ripple events and vicarious trial and error behaviors in decision making. Neuron. 2016;92(5):975-982.
- Powell NJ, Redish AD. Representational changes of latent strategies in rat medial prefrontal cortex precede changes in behaviour. Nat Commun. 2016 Sep 22;7:12830.
- Carter EC, Redish AD. Rats value time differently on equivalent foraging and delay-discounting tasks. J Exp Psychol Gen. 2016;145(9):1093-101.
- Redish AD. Vicarious trial and error. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2016;17(3):147-59.
- Amemiya S, Redish AD. Manipulating decisiveness in decision making: Effects of clonidine on hippocampal search strategies. J Neurosci. 2016;36(3):814-27.
- Regier PS, Amemiya S, Redish AD. Hippocampus and subregions of the dorsal striatum respond differently to a behavioral strategy change on a spatial navigation task. J Neurophysiol. 2015;114(3):1399-416.
- Stott JJ, Redish AD. Representations of value in the brain: An embarrassment of riches? PLoS Biol. 2015;13(6):e1002174.
- Wikenheiser AM, Redish AD. Decoding the cognitive map: ensemble hippocampal sequences and decision making. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2015;32:8-15.
- Redish AD, Schultheiss NW, Carter EC. The computational complexity of valuation and motivational forces in decision-making processes. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 2016;27:313-33.
- Schultheiss NW, Redish AD. The compass within. Nat Neurosci. 2015;18(4):482-3.
- Breton YA, Seeland KD, Redish AD. Aging impairs deliberation and behavioral flexibility in inter-temporal choice. Front Aging Neurosci. 2015 Mar 27;7:41.
- Regier PS, Redish, AD. Contingency management and deliberative decision-making processes. Front Psychiatry. 2015 Jun 1;6:76.
- Wikenheiser AM, Redish AD. Hippocampal sequences and the cognitive map. In: Analysis and Modeling of Coordinated Multi-neuronal Activity Springer New York, 2015; pp105-129.
- Wikenheiser AM, Redish AD. Hippocampal theta sequences reflect current goals. Nat Neurosci. 2015;18(2):289-94.
- Hills TT, Todd PM, Lazer D, Redish AD, Couzin ID; Cognitive Search Research Group. Exploration versus exploitation in space, mind, and society. Trends Cogn Sci. 2015;19(1):46-54.
- Redish AD, Mizumori SJ. Memory and decision making. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2015;117:1-3.
- Powell NJ, Redish AD. Complex neural codes in rat prelimbic cortex are stable across days on a spatial decision task. Front Behav Neurosci. 2014 Apr 23;8:120.
- Stott JJ, Redish AD. A functional difference in information processing between orbitofrontal cortex and ventral striatum during decision-making behaviour. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2014;369(1655).
- Wikenheiser AM, Redish AD. Decoding the cognitive map: ensemble hippocampal sequences and decision making. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2014;32C:8-15.
- Steiner AP, Redish AD. Behavioral and neurophysiological correlates of regret in rat decision-making on a neuroeconomic task. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17(7):995-1002.
- Redish AD, Gordon JA. "Computational Psychiatry: New Perspectives on Mental Illness (MIT Press), 2016.
Current Graduate Students:
Cody Walters (Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Adrine Kocharian (Neuroscience, University of Minnesota)
Former Graduate Students:
Brendan Hasz (Ph.D. 2020, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Brian Sweis (Ph.D. 2018, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Andrew Papale (Ph.D. 2015, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Paul Regier (Ph.D. 2015, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Jeff Stott (Ph.D. 2015, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Nate Powell (Ph.D. 2015, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Andrew Wikenheiser (Ph.D. 2014, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Adam Steiner (Ph.D. 2014, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Adam Johnson (Ph.D. 2008, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Jadin Jackson (Ph.D. 2006, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).
Neil Schmitzer-Torbert (Ph.D. 2004, Neuroscience, University of Minnesota).