Dr. Gillick's research is dedicated to investigating cortical plasticity and recovery from neurologic insult in both adult and pediatric populations. Her research encompasses the use of non-invasive brain stimulation, in combination with behavioral training, for improved motor function. Current grants support investigation of the use of non-invasive brain stimulation with and without the combination of constraint-induced therapy in children with stroke and resultant hemiparesis. Neuroimaging and neuronavigation allows advanced understanding of the reorganization and structure of the brain which survived the stroke, and the influence of interventions on neurorecovery.
- Behan M, Nawshin T, Nemanich S, Kowalski J, Sutter E, Francis S, Dubinsky J, Freese R, Rudser K, Gillick B. A crossed-disciplinary evaluation of parental perceptions surrounding pediatric non-invasive brain stimulation research. Int J Pharm Healthc Mark. 2020 Dec 10;14(4):623-640.
- Keller-Ross ML, Chantigian DP, Nemanich S, Gillick BT. Cardiovascular effects of transcranial direct current stimulation and bimanual training in children with cerebral palsy. Pediatr Phys Ther. 2021 Jan 1;33(1):11-16.
- Lixandrão MC, Stinear JW, Rich T, Chen CY, Feyma T, Meekins GD, Gillick BT. EMG breakthrough during cortical silent period in congenital hemiparesis: a descriptive case series. Braz J Phys Ther. 2020;24(1):20-29.
- Legon W, Adams S, Bansal P, Patel PD, Hobbs L, Ai L, Mueller JK, Meekins G, Gillick BT. A retrospective qualitative report of symptoms and safety from transcranial focused ultrasound for neuromodulation in humans. Sci Rep. 2020 Mar 27;10(1):5573.
- Nemanich ST, Mueller BA, Gillick BT. Neurite orientation dispersion and density imaging quantifies corticospinal tract microstructural organization in children with unilateral cerebral palsy. Hum Brain Mapp. 2019;40(17):4888-4900.
- Rich TL, Nemanich S, Chen M, Friel K, Feyma T, Krach L, Nawshin T, Meekins G, Gillick BT. Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) paired with occupation-centered bimanual training in children with unilateral cerebral palsy: A preliminary study. Neural Plast. 2018 Nov 5;2018:9610812.
- Rich TL, Menk JS, Rudser KD, Feyma T, Gillick BT. Less-affected hand function in children with hemiparetic unilateral cerebral palsy: A comparison study with typically developing peers. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2017;31(10-11):965-976.
- Chen CY, McGee CW, Rich TL, Prudente CN, Gillick BT. Reference values of intrinsic muscle strength of the hand of adolescents and young adults. J Hand Ther. 2017 Aug 12. pii: S0894-1130(17)30016-9.
- Rich TL, Menk JS, Rudser KD, Chen M, Meekins GD, Peña E, Feyma T, Bawroski K, Bush C, Gillick BT. Determining electrode placement for transcranial direct current stimulation: A comparison of EEG- versus TMS-guided methods. Clin EEG Neurosci. 2017;48(6):367-375.
- Chen CY, Georgieff M, Elison J, Chen M, Stinear J, Mueller B, Rao R, Rudser K, Gillick B. Understanding brain reorganization in infants with perinatal stroke through neuroexcitability and neuroimaging. Pediatr Phys Ther. 2017 Apr;29(2):173-178.
- Chen CY, Rich TL, Cassidy JM, Gillick BT. Corticospinal excitability in children with congenital hemiparesis. Brain Sci. 2016 Oct 20;6(4). pii: E49.
- Rich TL, Menk J, Krach LE, Feyma T, Gillick BT. Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation/behavioral intervention clinical trial: Long-term follow-up of outcomes in congenital hemiparesis. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2016;26(7):598-605.