Member of MSTP (MD/PhD) program
Undergraduate Instutition And Major:
University of California, San Diego. Microbiology. 2011
Michael Lee, Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience
Thesis Committee Members:
- Sylvain Lesne, Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience (Chair)
- Michael Lee, Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience
- Timothy Ebner, M.D. Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience
- Ling Li, Ph.D., Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology
- Alfonso Araque, Ph.D., Departments of Neuroscience and Psychology
Description Of Graduate Research:
Parkinson’s disease (PD), the second most common neurodegenerative disease, is characterized by intracellular inclusions called Lewy bodies, and loss of selective brain regions at the neuronal level, resulting in overt motor abnormalities at the clinical level. However, the neuropathology observed in PD extends beyond these selective regions implicated as the source these motor deficits, and thus a majority of PD patients develop other symptoms such as dementia. To that end, understanding the mechanism by which α-synulcein, a major component of Lewy bodies and protein mutated in genetic versions of PD, contributes to cognitive deficits will enhance our knowledge of the disease process and identify new targets for therapeutic intervention.
Graduate Level Publication(s):
Teravskis PJ, Covelo A, Miller EC, Singh B, Martell-Martínez HA, Benneyworth MA, Gallardo C, Oxnard BR, Araque A, Lee MK, Liao D. A53T mutant alpha-synuclein induces tau dependent postsynaptic impairment independent of neurodegenerative changes. J Neurosci. 2018;38:9754-9767.
- Neurodegenerative Diseases & Neural Injury
- Synaptic Plasticity & Learning
- Regenerative Medicine for Neural Systems
- Ann Parr M.D., Ph.D., Department of Neurosurgery
- Karen Ashe M.D., Ph.D., Departments of Neurology and Neuroscience
- Mark Masino Ph.D., Department of Neuroscience
Student Board First Year Representative 2014-2015.
Why Did You Choose MN?
The MD/PhD program at the U of MN is strong. There are many good clinical opportunities and medical and graduate training. During the interview process, students seemed happy and cohesive and the faculty seemed involved and invested.
Student Mentor And The Best Advice They Gave.
Jenny Zick: Don't let people tell you what to do when picking an advisor.