Cranial development is orchestrated through the expression of key neurodevelopmental programs in tissue stem and progenitor cells, which go on to generate a highly organized cellular architecture. This system can go awry during the process of tumorigenesis, whereby differentiation blockade and/or enforced pluripotent state drive previously normal cells to acquire malignant potential. We seek to understand the mechanisms by which normal neurodevelopmental programs are hijacked in tumorigenesis, and how this leads to cellular immortality, tumor growth, and treatment resistance.
We specialize in a variety of emerging genomics technologies, single cell approaches, protein biochemistry, and new technique development to understand the epigenetic and transcriptional programs that lead to tumorigenesis in the central nervous system. We focus on studying actual human tissue samples, alongside more traditional cell culture models in vitro and preclinical animal models, to maximize clinical relevance and our ability to translate discoveries into actionable new therapeutic targets for patients.
- Chen L, Roake CM, Freund A, Batista PJ, Tian S, Yin YA, Gajera CR, Lin S, Lee B, Pech MF, Venteicher AS, Das R, Chang HY, Artandi SE. An activity switch in human telomerase based on RNA conformation and shaped by TCAB1. Cell. 2018;174(1):218-230.e13.
- Venteicher AS*, Tirosh I*, Hebert C, Yizhak K, Neftel C, Filbin MG, Hovestadt V, Escalante LE, Shaw ML, Rodman C, Gillespie SM, Dionne D, Luo CC, Ravichandran H, Mylvaganam R, Mount C, Onozato ML, Nahed BV, Wakimoto H, Curry WT, Iafrate AJ, Rivera MN, Frosch MP, Golub TR, Brastianos PK, Getz G, Patel AP, Monje M, Cahill DP, Rozenblatt-Rosen O, Louis DN, Bernstein BE, Regev A**, Suvà ML**. Decoupling genetics, lineages, and microenvironment in IDH-mutant gliomas by single-cell RNA-seq. Science. 2017 Mar 31;355(6332).
- Liau BB, Sievers C, Donohue LK, Gillespie SM, Flavahan WA, Miller TE, Venteicher AS, Hebert CH, Carey CD, Rodig SJ, Shareef SJ, Najm FJ, van Galen P, Wakimoto H, Cahill DP, Rich JN, Aster JC, Suvà ML, Patel AP, Bernstein BE. Adaptive chromatin remodeling drives glioblastoma stem cell plasticity and drug tolerance. Cell Stem Cell. 2017;20(2):233-246.
- Tirosh I*, Venteicher AS*, Hebert C, Escalante LE, Patel AP, Yizhak K, Fisher JM, Rodman C, Mount C, Filbin MG, Neftel C, Desai N, Nyman J, Izar B, Luo CC, Francis JM, Patel AA, Onozato ML, Riggi N, Livak KJ, Gennert D, Satija R, Nahed BV, Curry WT, Martuza RL, Mylvaganam R, Iafrate AJ, Frosch MP, Golub TR, Rivera MN, Getz G, Rozenblatt-Rosen O, Cahill DP, Monje M, Bernstein BE, Louis DN, Regev A**, Suvà ML**. Single-cell RNA-seq supports a developmental hierarchy in human oligodendroglioma. Nature. 2016;539(7628):309-313.
- Flavahan WA, Drier Y, Liau BB, Gillespie SM, Venteicher AS, Stemmer-Rachamimov AO, Suvà ML, Bernstein BE. Insulator dysfunction and oncogene activation in IDH mutant gliomas. Nature. 2016;529(7584):110-114.
- Shankar GM, Francis JM, Rinne ML, Ramkissoon SH, Huang FW, Venteicher AS, Akama-Garren EH, Kang YJ, Lelic N, Kim JC, Brown LE, Charbonneau SK, Golby AJ, Sekhar Pedamallu C, Hoang MP, Sullivan RJ, Cherniack AD, Garraway LA, Stemmer-Rachamimov A, Reardon DA, Wen PY, Brastianos PK, Curry WT, Barker FG 2nd, Hahn WC, Nahed BV, Ligon KL, Louis DN, Cahill DP, Meyerson M. Rapid intraoperative molecular characterization of glioma. JAMA Oncol. 2015;1(5):662-667.
- Sarmiento JM*, Venteicher AS*, Patil CG. Early versus delayed postoperative radiotherapy for treatment of low-grade gliomas. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Jun 29;(6):CD009229.
- Freund A, Zhong FL, Venteicher AS, Meng Z, Veenstra TD, Frydman J, Artandi SE. Proteostatic control of telomerase function through TRiC-mediated folding of TCAB1. Cell. 2014;159(6):1389-1403.
- Zhong FL, Batista LF, Freund A, Pech MF, Venteicher AS, Artandi SE. TPP1 OB-fold domain controls telomere maintenance by recruiting telomerase to chromosome ends. Cell 2012. Cell. 2012;150:481-494.